Tuesday 22 May 2012

New Ideas on which to blog

The one thing I really really miss is writing about novels, poetry and prose; analysing them and writing comment about them.  Does that make me sad?  well yes it does at least in the sense of sorry I don't get so much opportunity these days, if not in the sense of 'what a geek!'  So.... I have decided to analyse and critique various novels and things on this blog. 

My own favourites are the novels of the nineteenth century, but I have analysed a lot more besides with my various students over the years, but that is all.  I don't get the chance to write about them.  If anyone has any suggestions about what they would like to see, then please feel free to bring them up.  In the meantime, I will start re-reading my favourite books and let you have some literary criticism on them.  (Can one say that, oh well I suppose it's too late, as I already have!)

My first novel will be Sense and Sensibility, the lovely story of Elinor and her, slightly crazy, sister Marianne who both look for love, find it and treat it, and indeed, are treated by it, in very different ways.  Marianne who is wild and passionate is finally, and nearly fatally, tamed by a horrendous illness that sees her personality changed.  Her wild love for an unsuitable young man, who deceives her in the worst possible way, gives way to a far more sensible and mature love for an older man.  My question here is, is youth bad for love?  Do the characters have to experience wild and, blatant disregard for society, before they can sensibly settle into a married life which society finds acceptable?

Find out in my next blog when I will give my viewpoint on the whole matter of Austen's kind of love.

Pauline

No comments:

Post a Comment