Thursday 3 May 2012

recommended read

Further to my comments on 'The Gallows Curse' recently, I would like to recommend another stonking read to you.

I've not read a Martina Cole novel before, but when he left, my eldest nephew left a novel of hers on the shelf.  It's sat there looking at me for some time, and beckoning; yes I do believe that some books do beckon to one.  Well, it beckoned long enough and eventually I picked it up.   WOW!  amazing book, the story just feels so real, as though one is part of the nightmare.  The Grantley Ripper wreaks havoc in the sleepy town of Grantley, attacking, raping and murdering innocent women, who, in his warped mind, are all whores.

It's a fairly graphic book, but, and this really does not sound right, it was highly enjoyable.  Of course there is the inevitable, and highly unlikely, love story running through it, but this does not detract from the full horror of the 'Ripper's' reign of terror.

I'm going to try another Cole novel at some point in the future, so look back to see what I recommend next time.

For those of you wanting an update on the my own novel, well I have to confess that progress has been slow.  Unfortunately, I have to earn a living of sorts which restricts the amount of time I can actually spend writing to the degree that I've really not written very much recently.  Having several jobs is very time consuming and rather inconvenient.  Never mind the novel is still there, and I will work on it in depth as soon as I am able.

thanks for reading

Pauline

No comments:

Post a Comment